Happy Friday, and Happy Valentine’s Day! I hope you’ve been having a love-filled week, and that, wherever you are in the world, your home is safe and dry and happy. We feel so grateful right now that our house is away from any rivers, having seen how awful the damage caused by flooding is in Jason’s office over Christmas.
This weekend, we’re planning on heading back to the carpet shop to pick up some more samples, and Jason’s going to put up some shelves for me in the kitchen to store my cookery books. << Yikes. It’s sentences like that that make me realise how grown up we are. And on that note, today is our 3 year anniversary of moving into this little house! So much has changed since then. It seems a lifetime ago! Happy 3 years of living together, my love! 3 years of lazy Sunday mornings, of happy domesticity, of never once being able to agree on how the bed should be made, of compromise, and understanding, and love. Here’s what’s made me most happy in this past week…
1. Ducks on the pond! Ducks on the pond! There’s been a couple visiting the pond outside our house every day this week, and I’m keeping my fingers crossed they’re checking out the little duck house as a potential place to have their babies this spring!
2. Pink Lady apples. Preferably fridge-cold.
3. The beautiful new peace lily my Mum bought us over the weekend, which looks so grand on our little dining table. I’ve been diligently misting it with water each day since it prefers a humid environment, and am doing my best to not overwater its roots. I love how huge its beautiful leaves are.
4. Afternoon tea with some local dog-walking friends on Wednesday afternoon.
5. Lindt strawberry Lindor chocolates. Have you tried them yet? Oh my. They are seriously, seriously great.
6. Waking up to blue skies, and bright sunlight streaming in through our bedroom curtains. It never lasts long and the rain comes along soon enough, but it makes me happy all the same.
7. Watching Teddy sit at the back door each day, on bird patrol. He watches for any birds landing in the garden, and tries to frighten them away through the glass when they come. They seem to know he can’t reach them though…
8. Making flapjacks for my love- even though I suck at flapjack making and they weren’t soft at all. Sigh.
9. Experimenting with cooking new dishes. It’s fun to step outside my comfort zone, and push myself to try new things. I warned Jason I was cooking something new for dinner one night this week and wasn’t sure if it would taste nice or not, and he said ‘S’alright, I’ll take you out to KFC if it’s nasty.’ Love that man ;)
10. Setting myself a new way of working from home. I realised this week that the reason I was so productive at school and college and so on was because I had set time limits in which i needed to get work done. I am a faffer of the highest order and a procrastination extraordinaire (both skills inherited from my Grandma!) which means that if I don’t have time limits in which to complete work, I while away my time flitting from one task to the next without ever completing anything, or being at all productive. I’ve started giving myself set time limits in which to complete tasks throughout the day, and it’s making the hugest difference to how I work. It might seem kind of silly to impose strictness when one of the benefits of working from home is having complete freedom, but I’m feel like it’s a really great way for me to tailor the way I work to my personality type.
Three posts I’ve loved reading this week: Manuela’s tutorial on how to create a gorgeously messy braided ponytail // Ann’s photographs of an outfit she wore in NY this week // and Beth’s all natural red velvet beet cake with goat’s cheese frosting.
What’s made you happy this week? :)