I remember first clicking through to Emily’s blog sometime last summer, back when there were only three or four posts on it! It’s been so amazing to watch it grow and develop over the past year, and to see Em’s gorgeous style shine through more and more in her writing and photographs. Emily is also just about the sweetest, sunniest person you could ever wish to have as part of your ‘online community’ as I like to think of it, so she herself has been just a pleasure to get to know too! Dear You Love Em features a bit of everything- from make up reviews, to travel posts, ‘life lately’ photograph round ups, and the odd fun recipe too! It’s such a fantastic read. Earlier this week Emily answered a few of my questions all the way from Sydney, so now let’s get to know this wonderful lady and her beautiful blog a little better!
1. Will you tell us a little about what made you want to start writing a blog? And how have you found your first year as a blogger- has it been more fun/tricky/time-consuming than you imagined? :)
I started blogging just under four years ago because I loved having a creative outlet to develop my writing and photography skills but my boyfriend at the time (a really nasty piece of work) was really unsupportive about anything I was passionate about (including my blog- boo!), fast forward four years and I got rid of him, and made myself a new blog that I am actually really quite proud of. At times I have struggled with tricky computer codes which I just do not understand (why oh why didn’t I study I.T at school?), and it can be very time consuming but I have finally got my blog into my daily routine and I really do enjoy it so it doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I think its love…
2. What do you hope your readers take away from your blog, when they visit it?
Honestly at the end of the day I just want to make a space that give people a bit of escapism from their everyday life. Sometimes I worry that no one else enjoys reading my blog and then I’ll find it open on mums ipad and know at least she gets a kick out of it haha …
3. Do have a favourite kind of post to write? :) I love your travel posts especially!
Thanks Rosie! I love my travel posts too – they always bring back a sense of nostalgia and a flood of memories. It really depends on my mood though, recently I have fallen in love with my ‘Sunday Smiles’ series because it gets me thinking back on the week that’s been and be grateful for all the little things. I also have a ton of travel posts coming up, this week there will be Prague and Venice so stay tuned!
4. How do you deal with a case of writer’s block, if you ever get one? Is there anything you do, or anywhere you go that’s always a sure fire way of sparking your creativity?
Love this question! I feel like the moments where I get most of my inspiration occur within the realm of the every day. People watching at the bus stop, people who listen without just waiting their turn to talk, someone going out of their way to help you, that sort of thing. Also, elderly people who go jogging are really inspiring.
5. Tell us a little about your beautiful home city of Sydney! If you were writing a travel guide, what would be your top three recommendations for places to eat, drink, and visit in the city? :)
Oh I am so in love with Sydney its ridiculous- I live 20 minutes from the city, the beach and right next to the bush so it really is the best of both worlds! My top things to do are: 1. Do the Bondi to Bronte beach walk and make sure you bring your camera along with you (or if its in the summer bring your swimmers!) 2. Go to Balmoral Beach and grab the best fish and chips in Sydney at ‘Bottom of the Harbour’- bonus points if you eat them on the beach. 3. Catch a ferry to Cockatoo Island (located in the middle of Sydney Harbour so the views are to die for), grab a cocktail, sit on the deck chairs and reminisce on how great I am for sending you to such a great place haha… but seriously.
6. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? (I love asking people this question, I think it’s such a fun one!)
Something with chocolate, or dumplings. Or anything where melted cheese is involved.
7. What’s made you smile most in the past week?
Hot Yoga- I know, the idea of doing awkward stretches in a room with people sweating sounds absolutely bizarre but it was truly AMAZING. I finally get the whole yoga thing- I felt emotionally and physically better for days after. Also the moment I realized I had parked in a one hour parking bay and actually been away for seven hours and didn’t get a parking ticket- winning!
8. Let’s so some either/ors to finish of! So- do you prefer peonies, or roses? I am just going to put it out there and confess I just had to google ‘peonies’ to remind myself what they were, so I think that must mean roses by default. Plus, they have that whole oh la la I’m so romantic connotation to them – unless of course they are yellow which is meant to be for your sick grandmother. Bold or nude lipsticks? Bold, bold and bold! I am so pale that nude lipsticks make me look sickly, and I usually stick to the black/grey/white assortment of clothes so bold lips bring a nice little pop of colour. Sweet, or savoury? Ohhh my I have the sweetest tooth in the world- and you know what, its awful. I even dream of cookies and chocolate. Yeah, that’s a thing. Would you rather sit down and watch a movie, or binge watch a TV series? Alright, I think its time for another confession again- I am absolutely obsessed with Vampire Diaries (I know I’m late to the party) but its wonderful and I aaaint even sorry about it! Do you prefer summer, or winter weather? Summer all the way- I feel like I try to pretend winter doesn’t exist and wear sandals … and it hurts. Driving, or being driven? Driving unless my boyfriend is involved, and then he always drives (so chivalrous! Swoon) Are you an early bird, or a night owl? Early bird- I am incapable of sleeping in on weekends and pass out like an old lady at around 8pm every night- I know, I am wild. Introvert, or extrovert? Extrovert!
p.s. If you’d like to see your own blog featured here on Cider with Rosie, click through to the Sponsor page and book up an advert! Now taking advance booking for early 2015 for the Ultimate Advertising package!