Just a few from the weekend!

21.07

Purple-berry-pavlova

The weekend just never feels long enough, does it? It goes by in the blink of an eye- a mad dash of trying to catch up on sleep and BBQing with friends and laundry and shopping and walking the dog. And in this case- pavlova too!

Jason and I were due to head out to our friends’ house for a BBQ yesterday afternoon, and since I’d promised to bring over a pavlova for dessert I set about making it mid-morning. And we would’ve had it cooked, cooled, and ready to go too had I not had a yolk-related disaster right as I was cracking the 8th and final egg into the bowl of whites. I made that dumb rookie error of trying to catch a falling egg yolk between the two halves of shell I was holding… and yep. Yolk in the whites people. Yolk in the whites. And since the yolk had split, there was no way of removing it so the entire lot had to be poured down the sink. If I told you that I maybe cried a bit, would you judge me? And if I told you that I lay on the sofa being all forlorn and pathetic whilst Jason dashed up to the shops for me to buy more eggs, would you judge? Nope? Phewph. Didn’t think so ;)

But anyway! 16 eggs later, one toe stubbed in rage and two very sizeable coffees drunk, pavlova was made! The afternoon at our friends’ house was such a good one- we ate the most insanely amazing BBQed burgers with brioche buns and pulled pork (I KNOW), Teddy found no less than 9 lost tennis balls under the rhododendron bush in the garden, we all had a go at hula hooping ( I laughed so hard that my stomach and throat ached!) and talked lots and lots about weddings. Michelle & Ian are about 8 months further on than us in the wedding planning process, so we pick their brains any chance we can get!

Tilly-and-her-tennis-balls

^^ That’s Tilly. She’s adorable. ^^

Cider-with-Rosie-summer-bbq Cider-with-Rosie-summer-bbq2

And that really, is all there is to say about the day! It was a lovely one- exactly how summer days are supposed to be. Lots of food, lots of laughing, followed by a quick drive home in the evening, a tidy-up of the meringue-explosion in our kitchen, and then to bed. How was your weekend? I hope it was great! Did you have storms? I feel cheated, we were promised a good summer storm and all we had was one measly rain shower!

Peacock-butterfly

p.s. Is that a peacock butterfly? I’m not sure, but think it might be. Either way, isn’t she a beauty?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
28 Comments
Posted in Uncategorized, WEEKEND

28 thoughts on “Just a few from the weekend!

1. Jordan

That pavlova looks incredible! Don’t worry, I know if I had dropped the yolk in the whites I probably would have teared up a bit too. But it looks like it turned out beautiful in the end!

hellomissjordan.blogspot.co.uk xx

2. Samantha

Oh my goodness that puppy…SO adorable! It sounds like you had a great weekend :) These summer days really are to be cherished, aren’t they? I love getting together with friends and family for picnics, sitting outdoors enjoying the sun, etc. Great photographs!
    ~ Samantha

3. jennie

Its defiantly a Peacock :-) My Dad was very into his butterfly spotting, and my brother and I spent a large portion of our childhood summers being quizzed on the names of any that came into the garden. Peacocks were one of his favourites, its not hard to see why is it! Your pavlova looks equally beautiful, so fresh and summery, well worth the cracked yolk tears!
    Jennie x

4. cheyenne

i feel you, i had my own share of baking/dessert disasters/cries, haha. the day does sound just so lovely though, and the pavlova looks amazing :)
    xo, cheyenne

5. Ruth

Oh my, that pavlova! Cooking for other people cries are definitely something that has gone down in our house before, the pavlova looks like it was worth it though. Will have to give it a go myself some time soon.

6. kelly rae

I tasted my first ever pavlova a couple of weeks ago. It was so good! I would love to try and make one at some point. I love it with all the berries.

7. arielle

despite the small egg-white mishap, that meringue looks pretty much perfect! looks like you guys had such a fun weekend. congrats to teddy on his tennis ball finding!

love, arielle
    a simple elegance

8. Jade @ Bits & Bobs

Despite the mishap, and hassle of having to start over, I’m sure you was very proud of that pavlova – looks delicious!

We had a storm on Friday night/Saturday morning (however you look at 4am) at it was great, even if it did wake us up and the electric cut out. I love a good storm.

That last picture is just beautiful!
    :-)

9. Rebeka Taylor

The pavlova looks amazing, all of the effort was worth it! I didn’t get any storms either, and there was barely any rain, definitely missed out there :( Rebeka x

10. Emma

Oh you poor thing! I would, and have done exactly the same with the eggs, tears and forlorn sofaness and all in the past! Yay for lovely boys that come to the rescue though :) Looks yummy too! xx

11. Kenzie Smith

I get so frustrated when I mess up a recipe and have to start over, so I totally do not judge you for crying and being angry. I’ve been there!
    It looks like you had an amazing time with your friends!
    That butterfly is gorgeous!! I think it is a peacock butterfly :D

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *