*Photo taken one joyfully sunny morning, earlier in the week.
Happy happy Friday, everyone! Right, let me update you on our crazy six-day DIY house-blasting project. We got cracking on Wednesday night doing our bedroom. At exactly 9pm I started stripping the hideous floral wallpaper border from the walls- and by half past 10… I was done. All four walls, clean as a whistle. No steamer involved- just me, a scraper, and three years of pent up hatred of that tacky floral pattern. And you should know the stripping that stuff away?- basically the most cathartic experience of my life to date. So now we’re onto whitework-sanding, wall-painting (and I’m doing a fair bit of curtain-hunting in my spare time, too). Oh, this weekend will be a glamorous one for sure! Here’s a little list of the things that’ve made me most happy this week…
1. The double-shot vanilla latte I drank post-dog walk on Tuesday. I’d been so tired whilst walking it felt like I was dragging my body around after me, but that coffee was a lifesaver.
2. Pinning pictures of bright blue skies, crystal seas, tanned skin and freckles onto my ‘summer.’ Pinterest board. It’s keeping my spirits high, and making the cold more bearable.
3. Crabtree and Evelyn ‘La Source’ hand cream. Hands down (Heh. Pun.) the best hand cream I’ve ever used! I inherited sandpaper hands from my Mum and Grandma so struggle to keep them moisturised, and would recommend this one in a heartbeat.
4. Spending extra time with my Ma and sister this week. They’re both on half term, and so have been accompanying Teddy and I on our daily walks.
5. The new basil plant currently hanging out on my kitchen window ledge. I can’t get enough of that lush green colour into our home just lately.
6. A lunch of spiced quinoa with red pepper, kidney beans, rocket, basil, and a little natural yoghurt. It was kind of like a light, 10 minute version of chilli con carne!
7. Decorating with Jason in the evenings. I kind of hate decorating (and always have) and yet spending these past few evenings together blasting through the house with paintbrushes and sanding blocks kind of feels like a seminal life moment. The sort of moment in time we’ll look back on fondly in 20 years, and reminisce about how full of joy we were to finally finish renovating our first little home together.
8. The natural light now able to flood into the kitchen, now that all my cookery books have been taken off the window ledge and put on the shelves that Jason built last weekend. And it’s such a treat to be able to take recipe photos in the kitchen, instead of carting everything into the living room to get near the light.
9. Pale grey jeans, and a baggy grey sweater.
10. Longer, lighter evenings.
Three posts I’ve especially enjoyed reading this week: Siobhan’s thoughts on working from home // Lottie’s post sharing her daughter Ava’s amazing self-portraits! // and Gemma’s video on the benefits of quinoa. Not technically a ‘read’, but it was so useful I can’t not share!
What’s made you happy this week? :)