this pasta is great. there’s no two ways about it. it’s healthy, filling, meat-free (so totally budget friendly) and it has toasted pine nuts in it. and since i just can’t get enough of those little babies at the moment, this dish is absolutely my favourite thing to eat of late.
fusilli pasta (any shape is fine, but the sauce clings well to fusilli so i would recommend it!)
one head of broccoli
one heaped tablespoon of creme fraiche
one handful of pine nuts, toasted
some grated parmesan, or strong cheddar cheese
1. chop up the broccoli into fairly small chunks, about 1inch across. the stalk is perfectly fine to eat too, just cut it into slightly smaller pieces!
2. put your pasta on to boil in well salted water. after it’s been cooking for a couple of minutes, add in the broccoli. whilst they’re boiling, toast the pine nuts in a dry pan for a few minutes, until they’re golden brown. be careful though, because they turn from golden brown to black very quickly and continue to cook even when the heat’s been turned off under the pan!
3. when both the pasta and broccoli are tender, drain them in a colander. the broccoli needs to be slightly overdone so that it’s soft enough to form a sauce for the pasta.
4. return the pasta and broccoli to the pan, and stir through the creme fraiche, grated cheese, and pine nuts. stir the mixture quite vigorously, so the broccoli breaks down and coats the pasta.
5. taste, and season as you fancy.
and that’s it! isn’t it simple? :) do let me know if you try it, i’d love to know how you get on!