Want to know something I learned this week? Grown up magazines (you know, ‘homey’ ones) are kind of rubbish. House & Garden? I didn’t even bother finishing reading it, it was that dull. I nearly treated myself to Porter magazine, and then thought ‘ Rosie, right now you’re in the midst of doing up your house, not making over your wardrobe. Why buy a fashion magazine, when you could buy a ‘grown up’ magazine full of home decor inspiration?’ so I bought H&G instead. Error. Looking at pictures of handbags I can’t afford is way more fun than looking at pictures of bookshelves I can’t afford, and that’s the honest truth. Speaking of homes though, the rest of our house is being recarpeted today, so Jason and I plan on spending our weekend luxuriating in how gloriously NOT PINK our house is! Oh, and hey new living room carpet? In a few hours time you’ll be meeting our spaniel, and you’ll never be the same again. Ready yourself.
Here are a few things that’ve made me happiest this week…
1. The sweet pale pink & wood breakfast tray I bought this week. I’m planning on making Sunday-breakfasts-in-bed a ritual in our house from now on.
2. Pilates class. And learning to actually enjoy the relaxation part at the end of each class, where I used to just lay there in the dark feeling anxious to get home and eat some dinner…
3. Watching old episodes of Sex and the City. I’d forgotten how much I love that show, even though it is kind of ridiculous.
4. Watching Teddy tear after squirrels in the woods on Thursday. The dog’s a maniac.
5. The bunch of daffodils currently blooming on the kitchen windowsill. They’re just going over, so I plan on replacing them with some fresh ones this weekend.
6. Watching the little robin getting to work building a nest in the ivy at the end of our garden. He’s been busy busy busy lately gathering moss and grass from the garden, and has been sitting on the fence each morning watching Teddy run around doing his ‘business’. We’ve been scattering seeds and crumbs out on the patio each day for him to feast on, and have our fingers crossed we’ll hear the chirping of baby robins coming from the ivy sometime soon!
7. Sunlight sparkling on the lake on Tuesday morning. No greater sight, if you ask me.
8. Not having to wear a coat whilst out walking with Teddy. Feels so FREE! ;)
9. Nutella-filled pancakes. And also just Nutella on a spoon. I cannot get enough. (Jason said to me the other night ‘Why don’t you eat the Nutella *with* something, B?’. And I said ‘I am eating it with something. I’m eating it with a spoon.’)
10. Writing down favourite recipes to go into my recipe folder. I’ve been trying to get into the habit of making paper copies of my favourites, because I treasure the little notes in my Grandma’s old cookery books and scraps of notepaper she’d scribbled recipes onto so very much.
Three posts I’ve loved reading this week :: Sarah’s recipe for chocolate buckwheat granola || Ella’s thoughts on learning French and Italian (which has inspired me to brush on my Italian verbs, and start reading ‘Harry Potter a la Pietra Filosofale’ again) || and Blair’s darling blue + white striped ensemble.
What’s made you happy this week? :)